Saturday, August 10, 2013

August 11, 2002

Phone calls in the middle of the night are rarely a good thing. The odds of it being a good thing go down exponentially when you have a loved one in the Cardiac ICU. I remember waking up to my mom's cell phone going off. We missed it. The number was local. So he's fine, right?

Then the house phone rang. All of our stomachs dropped. I remember hearing my mom say, "should we come?"  It was about 2 am. My mom said my dad had gone into cardiac arrest and we had to go to the hospital (an hour's drive away). I packed a bag, knowing we would be there a while. I'd heard that if you're loved ones died, you could feel it. I felt nothing. 

My mom called my grandma to tell her we were on our way. Realizing it might be a hard drive, my mom called a family friend. Funny enough, he used to be a FedEx driver. We arrived at the hospital and were met at a side door and taken up to his floor. They took us into a small room. I think they call it a family consultation room. Nothing good happens there. They calmly explained that my dad's heart went into tachycardia (beating too fast, so fast that it can't actually pump anything) and they couldn't get him back. 

Shock. No. This wasn't happening. I never felt him leave. I hadn't seem him the last several days. Then, seconds later, calm. I heard a peaceful voice say, "'I know the plans I have for you,' declares The Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, to give you a hope and a future.'" Well, that's weird. 

For this post, I'll spare you the details of the next couple of hours, though I remember them vividly. We left the hospital and I emailed some people. I needed them to know. I slept for a few hours. Then, I went where I always knew I'd go if a tragedy occurred on a Sunday or Wednesday: I went to church. I needed to get out of my house that was so filled with sadness. I needed to be with friends. I needed comfort. So I went where I knew all of these things would be. 

Let me divert for a second. I've heard the quote, "Religion is the opiate of the masses." In that moment, I didn't want religion. I leaned heavily on my relationship with Jesus and assurance I'd one day see my dad again. Those truths were a balm to my soul and a comfort- just like when I was a kid and had a bad dream I wanted my mom or how I call a friend when I've had a crappy day. I was still completely aware of the reality that my life was forever different; I was also acutely aware that this pain was temporary and I'd see my dad again. 

I remember people's faces as I walked in the church. I remember my teacher hugging me as closest friends watched me dissolve into tears. I remember how those friends stood around me so I didn't have to endure all the well-meaning "I'm so sorry" statements (FYI, my family called one family in town. By the time I made it to church, almost everyone had heard). I'll never forget how incredibly loved I felt that day. I'll never forget the feeling of "where else could I possibly go"?

So, today, I'll do the same. In fact, I'll be at two services. I'll go to lunch with friends and celebrate. But today, I choose joy. I choose peace, the peace that surpasses all understanding. I choose to honor my day's life instead of giving into grief. 

1 comment: